Colorado Springs Chess News

The Knights Are Better Here!

Newsletters

Tim Brennan Resigns

Posted by Paul Anderson on March 30, 2014 at 2:55 AM

Game Of The Week


It is with mixed emotions that I announce that Tim Brennan has resigned.


It is sad to see him resign after doing so much for Colorado Chess.  He served as editor of the Colorado Chess Informant and created the Tactics Time column and Tactics Time Kindle books.  His constant complaining got the Denver Chess Club to update their ratings.  Also, he used that annoying personality to return the Colorado Springs City Championship to a rated event as well.


While not all his efforts have been successful, he continued to work tirelessly to pester tournament directors to harass innocent, low-rated players about the pointless minutia of the USCF rule book regarding electronic score-keeping devices and to punish paying, well-meaning players who show up for their games within the USCF-allowed grace period rather than the irresponsible players who forfeit games without notice.

 

However, the growing burden of running the Tactics Time empire became too much for him.  In an effort to automate the process, he created a chess program that got out of control and took over his entire life.  His whereabouts are still unknown.  The last known images of Tim were saved from his laptop computer's web cam:

 

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

 

Fortunately, Tim penned a resignation letter with a contingency plan should the automation fail.  He named myself as sole heir and executor of the Tactics Time fortune, as long as I promise that I will do my best to continue to delude low-rated players that chess is 99% tactics (the other 1% being setting up the board). 


So, it is with great pride that I publish Tim's last tactics puzzle.  He chose this position from one of my actual tournament games (just like 99% of the Tactic Time books), in which a class player might find themselves, rather than from a Grandmaster game they couldn't possibly understand or appreciate.

   

White to move and find the winning tactic!

 

See the diagram and answer here:

http://cschess.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=190938241

 

Tim Brennan Resigns

(http://www.chessvideos.tv/chess-game-replayer.php?id=90900)

 

[Event "Pikes Peak Open"]

[Site "http://cschess.webs.com/"]

[Date "1999.08.08"]

[Round "4.14"]

[White "Anderson, Paul"]

[Black "Krowczyk, Mark"]

[Result "1-0"]

[ECO "A10"]

[WhiteElo "1553"]

[BlackElo "1819"]

[PlyCount "1"]

[EventDate "1999.08.07"]

[TimeControl "40/7200:20/3600:20/3600"]

 

1. c4 1-0

 

This Week In Chess

 

On March 25th, the Colorado Springs Chess Club held its most-beloved Thematic, Double Swiss event (3SS, G10).  The theme chosen for this night was the King's Gambit opening from MCO-14.  A grand time was had by all, and the members showered me in gold coins, as I went unbeaten and played the most beautiful chess in the history of the game.

 

All games started: 1. e4 e5 2. f4

 

6.0 Paul Anderson

5.0 Gunnar Andersen

4.0 Peter Wise

3.5 Katie Wise

3.0 Koji Del Conte

3.0 Mark McGough

3.0 Daniel Herman

2.5 William Benedek

2.0 Earle Wikle

2.0 Buck Buchanan

2.0 Shirley Herman

0.0 Gary Atkinson

 

Tuesday Night Chess Tour Results for 1st Quarter

 

MAX POSSIBLE    44.00    44.00

1    Paul Anderson    31.50    31.50

2    Richard Buchanan    23.50    23.50

3    Daniel Herman    20.33    20.33

4    Koji DelConte    15.00    15.00

5    Joe Pahk    13.50    13.50

6    Mark McGough    13.33    13.33

7    Shirley Herman    12.00    12.00

8    William Benedek    9.50    9.50

9    Josh Bloomer    8.00    8.00

10    Eugin Pahk    6.00    6.00

11    Imre Barlay    6.00    6.00

12    Alex Freeman    5.33    5.33

13    Mike Madsen    5.00    5.00

14    Dean Brown    5.00    5.00

15    Larry Kledzik    5.00    5.00

16    Earle Wikle    5.00    5.00

17    Sara Herman    4.00    4.00

18    Ben Matthews    4.00    4.00

19    Katie Wise    4.00    4.00

20    Kevin Kaaoush    3.00    3.00

21    Alex Torres    3.00    3.00

22    Gunnar Andersen    3.00    3.00

23    Gary Atkinson    2.00    2.00

24    John Byrne    2.00    2.00

25    Robert Jimenez    2.00    2.00

26    Ron Dotson    2.00    2.00

27    Chris Wynkoop    2.00    2.00

28    Peter Barlay    2.00    2.00

29    Wise, Peter    2.00    2.00

30    Bobby Dzagen    1.00    1.00

31    Adam Metzger    1.00    1.00

32    Web McNairy    1.00    1.00

Categories: 2014

Post a Comment

Oops!

Oops, you forgot something.

Oops!

The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

You must be a member to comment on this page. Sign In or Register

0 Comments