|Posted by Paul Anderson on June 6, 2010 at 2:30 AM|
Game Of The Week
This week's game comes from the Petrie's Family Games 2nd Sunday chess event. My son and I went in May after taking his mom out for Mother's Day. We hadn't played since he beat me four years ago. Well, no recorded chess until now.
My son is the one who found the new site for the newsletter and suggested doing the video blog. I have never considered myself a good speaker so I wanted mostly music with the chess game videos. I went through my collection and found all the songs that could possibly be considered relating to chess. It wasn't easy.
Chess music is not a big genre. It was about 2% of my collection, and I was stretching it as much as I could. My son showed me how to add the music to the videos, and I would upload them.
However, I can never figure out when Youtube will allow a song clip or reject it. So, we started talking over the music to keep from getting rejected, but I try to keep a 10 second intro with the chess reference at the beginning of the video without any commentary. Here is the chess playlist for this year so far:
Change The World - Eric Clapton
Kill The King - Rainbow
I've Seen All Good People - Yes
Play The Game Tonight - Kansas
The Story Of Chess - The Cast of Chess
Games People Play - Joe South
Queen In Love - Yngwie Malmsteen
Arbiter - The Cast of Chess
Colorado - Flying W Wranglers
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head
Speed King - Deep Purple
Mr. Chess - Duncan Sheik
Egypt (The Chains Are On) - Dio
The Music Of Chess
[Site "Petrie's Family Games"]
[White "Anderson, Paul"]
[Black "Anderson, Matthew"]
1. d4 c6 2. c4 d5 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. Bg5 Be7 6.
Qc2 h6 7. Bxf6 Bxf6 8. e3 O-O 9. O-O-O Nd7 10. h4 e5 11. dxe5 Nxe5 12. Nxe5
Bxe5 13. cxd5 Qa5 14. Kb1 g6 15. dxc6 bxc6 16. f4 Bf5 17. Bd3 Bxc3 18. Qxc3
Qxc3 19. bxc3 Rab8+ 20. Kc2 a5 21. Bxf5 gxf5 22. Rd6 Rb6 23. Rb1 Rfb8 24. Rxb6
Rxb6 25. Rxh6 Kg7 26. Rd6 a4 27. a3 Ra6 28. c4 Kf8 29. c5 Kg7 30. Kd3 f6 31.
Kd4 Kf7 32. h5 Kg7 33. e4 fxe4 34. g4 e3 35. Kxe3 Ra5 36. Rxc6 Rb5 37. Rc7+ Kh6
38. Ke4 Rb3 39. Kf5 Rxa3 40. g5+ fxg5 41. fxg5+ Kxh5 42. Rh7# 1-0
This Week In Chess
By Dean Brown
1. May 2010 Panera Bread Final Results: directed on 27 May 2010 the final round of the May Panera Bread Tournament.
Rhett Langseth beat Kurt Kondracki;
Anthea Carson beat Cody Meinders
Isaac Martinez beat Pret Bram
Zach Umana beat Zach Chase
Spencer Shook beat Cynthia Langseth
Jerry Maier beat Justin Leo.
In an extra game Dean Brown beat Paul Sample.
Prize Winners: 1st Rhett ($60); 2nd/U14/U12: Anthea, Isaac, Zach Umana ($30 each); U1000: Cody Meinders.
Rhett got his 3rd Category 2 Norm and Zach Umana got his 1st Category 4 Norm towards the USCF Titles.
2. Territory Days: CSCC players played all comers at Old Colorado City's Territory Day's street fare Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in an effort to recruit new club members. As usual, us "Pro" players got big heads dispatching the mainly novice opponents most of the time though occasionally we slip up. Some novice"regulars" show up every year to play these free games. Sometimes a familiar face from the "Pro" past shows up and plays...this year Dennis O'Rourke (1700+) player active about 10 years ago played a few games; he beat me twice while I got his scalp once.
3. CSCC's Tuesday's Double Round Robin Blitz tournament: Tuesday's CSCC Blitz Results:
1st: Imre Barlay (8.5 out of 10.0)
2. David Meliti (7.5)
3. Jeff Fox (6.5)
4. Buck Buchanan (4.5)
5. Dean Brown (3.0)
Carleton Smith (0.0).
4. The June East Coast Deli Wednesday tournament is again directed by Jerry Maier. Players so far this month are Ken MacRae, Mark McGough, Anthea Carson; Isaac Martinez; Jerry Maier; Dean Brown; Dennis O'Rourke; Dragan Plakalovic; Alex Freeman, Brian Riountree, Fred Spell, and a new player who's name I did not catch. I managed to lose a game to Dennis O'Rourke that Rybka said I had a 12+ pawn lead...I just don't play too well in my 3rd hour of the game.
In the May East Coast Deli tournament, Fred Spell received his 5th Category 3 Norm to earn the USCF Category 3 Title. Congrats Fred!
4 more rounds left in this tourney...come join the fun next Wednesday.
5. The June Panera Bread tourney kicked-off with 7 players.
Rd 1 Results:
Kumar Tedla beat Justin Leo
Kurt Kondracki beat Sai Tedla
Jerry Maier beat Paul Sample.
I took the 1/2 pt bye.
Many scholastic regulars are taking a school's out vacation this month from this tournament. 3 rounds to go...come join the action.
6. If you are in the mood to play a rated event every weekend this month you are in luck. This Saturday is the Pueblo Open (5SS G/30, CO Tour); Sunday 13 June is the 1st USAFA NoEF Quads (3RR G/60); 19-20 June is the 12th Southern Colorado Open (6SS G/60, CO Tour); and 25-26 June is the Albuquerque Open (5SS G/90). I should be playing or directing at each of those tournaments; see you there! The Front Range Chess Schedule is packed full of playing opportunities through mid-October.
7. If you cross paths with any of the following players let them know that Jerry Maier and I are holding cash prizes for Dan St John, Mark Wells, Robert Isacoff, and Zach Umana.
Results of 2010 Pueblo Open
By Jerry Maier
4.5 Buck Buchanan
4.5 Julian Evans
4.0 Kurt Kondracki
4.0 Isaac Martinez
3.5 Scott Massey
3.0 Jeffrey Baffo
3.0 Ted Doykos
3.0 Bob Rountree
3.0 Alexander Freeman
2.5 Anthea Carson
2.5 Don Austin
2.0 Dean Brown
2.0 Jerry Maier
2.0 Roger S Weitzel
2.0 Ken Mac Rae
2.0 Kathy Schneider
2.0 Betty Baffo
1.5 Liz Wood
1.0 Andrew Stephenson
1.0 Paul Sample
0.0 Aaron Austie [WITHDREW]
1st and 2nd Place ($60 and $50) Buck Buchanan, Julian Evans ($55.00 each)
U1900 and U1600 ($50 and $46) Kurt Kondracki, Isaac Martinez ($48.00 each)
U1400 and U1200 ($38 and $34) Kathy Schneider, Betty Baffo, Ken MacRae ($24.00 each)
Right Move Public Chess Club
by David Meliti
On Thursday June 3rd, a total of 18 chess players gathered for the first club meeting of the month. Six players participated in casual play, six more players registered and played in the USCF Thursday night G/75 June 2010 Tourney and then another six registered and played in the Informal Thursday Night G/75 June 2010 Swiss.
Top seeds prevailed in Round 1 of both the June USCF rated and Informal Club tourneys that began last Thursday June 3rd. Mark McGough, Brian Rountree, Paul Covington, David Flaks and Gil Garrison all scored wins on the first of four rounds this month at the club.
There was one exception to this however....yours truly had the privilege of playing a newcomer to the club -- Jason Loving (1449) -- and I had to settle for a draw. Jason played a Caro-Kann defense against my e4 and came out swinging !!! My opening was not very impressive and Jason quickly took advantage. While new to our club, Jason is an experienced scholastic tournament player. Welcome to the club Jason !!!
It is still not too late to enter either tournament beginning with round 2 on June 10th. You may enter with a half-point bye and play the next three rounds on June 10th, June 17th and June 24th.
Round 1 results for both tournaments are as follows:
Peter Swan.............. 0-1 .................Mark McGough
Brian Rountree..........1-0...................Jay Shuler
David Meliti.............1/2-1/2...............Jason Loving
Travis Bradley...........0-1...................Paul Covington
David Flaks..............1-0...................Melody Kirkwood
Isaac Martinez..........0-1...................Gil Garrison
Small Group Chess Lessons Off-Site (Mondays)
June 7, 2010:::: Small Group Childrens Class: 6:00 -7:00pm (Lesson #9)
Comprehensive review of all material and graduation>>Last Class
June 7, 2010:::: Small Group Adult Class: 7:00 - 8:00pm (Lesson #9)
Tactics, tactics and more tactics.........................................
A new 3-month childrens class will begin soon with the exact dates pending. Stay tuned for more details. The adult class will continue through June (and possibly beyond).
Club Calendar (Thursdays at First United Methodist Church Dowtown)
June 10, 2010:: Casual Play: 6:00 - 9:30pm
Tournament Style Play: 7:00 - 9:30pm
USCF RATED Tournament: 4-SS G/75 May 2010 Swiss Rd 2 of 4
Informal Club-Rated Event: 4-SS G/75 May 2010 Swiss Rd 2 of 4
June 17, 2010:: Casual Play: 6:00 - 9:30pm
Tournament Style Play: 7:00 - 9:30pm
USCF RATED Tournament: 4-SS G/75 May 2010 Swiss Rd 3 of 4
Informal Club-Rated Event: 4-SS G/75 May 2010 Swiss Rd 3 of 4
June 24, 2010:: Casual Play: 6:00 - 9:30pm
Tournament Style Play: 7:00 - 9:30pm
USCF RATED Tournament: 4-SS G/75 May 2010 Swiss Rd 4 of 4
Informal Club-Rated Event: 4-SS G/75 May 2010 Swiss Rd 4 of 4
Upcoming USCF Rated Weekend Saturday Chess Tournaments
July 3, 2010 RMPCC 2010 Summer Quads, A Saturday Summer Chess Series #1
July 24, 2010 RMPCC 2010 Summer Quads, A Saturday Summer Chess Series #2
August 28, 2010 RMPCC 2010 Summer Quads, A Saturday Summer Chess Series #3
Other Club Announcements
For the upcoming Quad tournaments, send pre-registrations to: Right Move Public Chess Club, P.O. Box 246, Colorado Springs, CO 80901, Checks payable to Right Move Public Chess Club. Info: [email protected], 719- 484-9467. Save $5.00 by sending in your advance registration today !!!
Happy Chess Playing !