|Posted by Matthew Anderson on February 20, 2010 at 11:45 PM|
Game Of The Week
This week’s game comes from the Brian Wall simultaneous. Tom Mullikin was nice enough to give me his game. He went into the game hoping not to get mated in a miniature. He came out with a nice game that fell apart after he achieved his goal.
I really like the queenside castling line on move 18. Anyway, it just goes to show that it is all about the mental attitude. If I had to put a number on it, I would say chess is 99% mental. The other 1% would be the actual moving of the pieces on the board.
So, the best advice I could give Tom about how to improve this game is to use heavier pieces next time.
A Beautiful Square!
[Event "Brian Wall Simultaneous"]
[White "Mullikin, Tom"]
[Black "Wall, Brian"]
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 Bb4+ 4. Bd2 a5 5. a3 Be7 6. e3 O-O 7. Nc3 d5 8. Bd3
c5 9. Nb5 Nc6 10. Bc3 Ne4 11. cxd5 exd5 12. Bxe4 dxe4 13. Ne5 cxd4 14. Nxc6
bxc6 15. Qxd4 Qxd4 16. Nxd4 c5 17. Nc6 Bd8 18. O-O Ba6 19. Rfd1 Bd3 20. Ne5 c4
21. f3 Bb6 22. Kf2 Rad8 23. fxe4 f5 24. Nxd3 fxe4+ 25. Ke2 cxd3+ 26. Kd2 Rf2+
27. Kc1 Bxe3+ 28. Kb1 Bd4 29. Ka2 Bxc3 0-1
This Week In Chess
Tuesday August 17, 2004
On 8/10, the CSCC had 24 members in attendance for the Brian Wall lecture and simultaneous. Life Master Brian Wall spoke about a couple of his games from the Pikes Peak Open. The first game was from his fifth round win over Alexander Gitis, and the second one was a new opening Brian tried out against Andrew Chow in his third round victory.
After the lecture, Brian held a simultaneous exhibition against ten members. Brian’s opponents were allowed their choice of color and unlimited passes. Jeff Fox (as black) was the only one to beat Brian, but Joe Fromme (as white) did manage to get a draw. Here is the order in which the games finished:
Barnes & Noble Chess Night
On 8/11, the Barnes & Noble at the Citadel Mall held its first chess night. About 16 people showed up for pick up games including several Colorado Springs Chess Club members and a couple of chess players from Schriever Air Force Base. Similar events will be held in September (9/8 & 9/22). Contact Lora Reiher or Maureen Durocher at Barnes & Noble for details.
8/17 Team Swiss (G15), CSCC
8/23 Kids’ Chess Club, Borders
8/24 Thematic tournament, CSCC
8/31 Ladder games, CSCC
9/4 Scholastics start, CSCA
9/8 Barnes & Noble Chess, Citadel (6pm)
1 ad in the Guest Book